Arm wrestling is a sport that tests the strength, technique, and endurance of competitors. It has a long and rich history, dating back to ancient Egypt and Japan. Today, arm wrestling is practiced all over the world, with many professional tournaments and championships. But who are the greatest arm wrestlers of all time? Here is our list of the top 10, based on their achievements, records, and popularity.
Top 10 Greatest Arm Wrestlers of All Time
Devon Larratt is a Canadian arm wrestler who has won multiple titles in both left and right arm categories. He is known for his versatility, stamina, and intelligence in the sport. He has defeated many legendary arm wrestlers, such as John Brzenk, Denis Cyplenkov, and Michael Todd. He is currently ranked as the number one arm wrestler in North America by the World Armwrestling League (WAL).
Alexey Voevoda is a Russian arm wrestler who is also an Olympic champion in Bobsleigh. He won three gold medals at the Winter Olympics in 2006 and 2014. He is also a two-time world champion and a four-time European champion in arm wrestling. He is famous for his explosive power and speed, as well as his impressive physique. He has dominated the heavyweight division for many years, until he retired from arm wrestling in 2015.
Travis Bagent is an American arm wrestler who is widely regarded as one of the best trash talkers in the sport. He is also one of the most charismatic and entertaining personalities in arm wrestling. He has won several national and international titles, including the WAF World Championship, the PAL World Cup, and the WAL Championship. He is known for his aggressive style and his ability to psych out his opponents.
Engin Terzi is a Turkish arm wrestler who is considered to be one of the most technical and skilled arm wrestlers of all time. He has won 13 world titles and 17 European titles in various weight classes. He is also a respected coach and referee in the sport. He is admired for his dedication, passion, and sportsmanship in arm wrestling.
Denis Cyplenkov is a Ukrainian arm wrestler who is famous for his enormous hands and arms. He has a record-breaking grip strength of 113 kg (249 lbs). He is also a bodybuilder and a strongman competitor. He has won several prestigious titles in arm wrestling, such as the Nemiroff World Cup, the A1 Russian Open, and the PAL Vendetta. He is known for his raw power and endurance, as well as his intimidating presence.
Heidi Andersson is a Swedish arm wrestler who is one of the most successful female arm wrestlers of all time. She has won 11 world titles and 9 European titles in her career. She is also a role model and an advocate for women’s empowerment and gender equality. She has participated in various social projects and campaigns, such as UN Women’s HeForShe initiative. She is known for her strength, technique, and determination in arm wrestling.
John Brzenk is an American arm wrestler who is widely regarded as the greatest arm wrestler of all time. He has won over 40 world titles and over 100 national titles in his career. He has been competing for over four decades and has defeated many legendary arm wrestlers from different generations. He is nicknamed “The Perfect Storm” for his flawless technique and unmatched consistency. He is also featured in the documentary film “Pulling John”, which chronicles his life and career.
Sarah Bäckman is a Swedish arm wrestler who is one of the most dominant female arm wrestlers of all time. She has won eight world titles and eight European titles in her career. She is also a professional wrestler, who has signed with WWE in 2013. She is known for her speed, agility, and athleticism in arm wrestling.
Levan Saginashvili is a Georgian arm wrestler who is currently ranked as the number one arm wrestler in the world by PAL . He has won four world titles and four European titles in his career. He is also the current holder of the Top 8 belt, which is awarded to the winner of the most prestigious tournament in arm wrestling. He is known for his immense size, strength, and explosiveness in arm wrestling.
Zaur Paizulaev is a Russian arm wrestler who is the current world champion in both left and right arm categories. He has won six world titles and six European titles in his career. He is also the current holder of the Zloty Tur Cup, which is awarded to the winner of the most prestigious tournament in arm wrestling . He is known for his versatility, adaptability, and intelligence in arm wrestling.
Arm wrestling is a sport that showcases the strength, technique, and endurance of competitors. It has a long and rich history, dating back to ancient Egypt and Japan. Today, arm wrestling is practiced all over the world, with many professional tournaments and championships. The top 10 greatest arm wrestlers of all time are:
- Zaur Paizulaev
- Levan Saginashvili
- Sarah Bäckman
- John Brzenk
- Heidi Andersson
- Denis Cyplenkov
- Engin Terzi
- Travis Bagent
- Alexey Voevoda
- Devon Larratt
These arm wrestlers have achieved remarkable feats and records in the sport, and have inspired many fans and followers. They have also contributed to the development and popularity of arm wrestling as a sport.
Most Asked Questions and Answers
Q: How do you win at arm wrestling?
A: There is no definitive answer to this question, as different arm wrestlers may have different strategies and techniques. However, some general tips are:
- Position your body and arm correctly, with your dominant foot forward, your hip close to the table, your upper arm centered in front of you, and your wrist slightly arched.
- Use the top-roll or the hook technique to gain leverage and weaken your opponent’s wrist.
- Pull your opponent’s hand towards you, rather than pushing it down.
- Rotate your body and shoulder in line with the direction you want your arm to go.
- Use your whole body weight and strength to finish your opponent.
Q: Who is the strongest arm wrestler in the world?
A: This is a subjective question, as different arm wrestlers may have different strengths and weaknesses. However, based on the current rankings and results, Levan Saginashvili from Georgia is considered to be the strongest arm wrestler in the world. He has won four world titles and four European titles, and he is the current holder of the Top 8 belt. He has also defeated many top arm wrestlers, such as Denis Cyplenkov, Vitaly Laletin, Tim Bresnan, and Dave Chaffee.
Q: How do you train for arm wrestling?
A: Arm wrestling requires strength, endurance, and technique. Therefore, training for arm wrestling should involve exercises that target these aspects. Some examples are:
- Wrist curls and reverse wrist curls to strengthen the wrists and forearms.
- Hammer curls and reverse curls to strengthen the biceps and brachialis.
- Triceps extensions and dips to strengthen the triceps and elbows.
- Shoulder presses and lateral raises to strengthen the shoulders and deltoids.
- Rows and pull-ups to strengthen the back and lats.
- Chest presses and push-ups to strengthen the chest and pecs.
- Squats and lunges to strengthen the legs and core.
Q: How do you prevent injuries from arm wrestling?
A: Arm wrestling can be a risky sport, as it puts a lot of stress on the joints, tendons, ligaments, and muscles of the arms. Therefore, it is important to prevent injuries from arm wrestling by following these steps:
- Warm up properly before an arm wrestling match, by doing some light exercises and stretches for the arms.
- Use proper technique and form when arm wrestling, by keeping your elbow on the pad, your wrist straight or slightly arched, your shoulder aligned with your arm, and your body close to the table.
- Do not twist or jerk your arm or wrist during an arm wrestling match, as this can cause damage to the bones or nerves.
- Do not resist or fight back when you are losing an arm wrestling match, as this can cause more strain on your arm. Instead, concede or let go of your opponent’s hand gracefully.
- Cool down properly after an arm wrestling match, by doing some gentle exercises and stretches for the arms.
Q: How do you become a professional arm wrestler?
A: Becoming a professional arm wrestler requires dedication, passion, and hard work. Here are some steps to follow:
- Train regularly and consistently for arm wrestling, by doing exercises that improve your strength, endurance, and technique.
- Join a local or online arm wrestling club or community, where you can learn from other experienced arm wrestlers, practice with different opponents, and get feedback on your performance.
- Participate in local or regional arm wrestling tournaments or events, where you can test your skills against other competitors, gain exposure and recognition, and win prizes or awards.
- Register with a national or international arm wrestling organization or federation, such as WAL (World Armwrestling League), PAL (