Superheroes are everywhere these days. They dominate the box office, the streaming platforms, the comic books, and the merchandise. But who are the most popular superheroes in the world? How do we measure their popularity? One way to do that is to look at how often people search for them on Google. Google Trends is a tool that shows how frequently a given term is searched for relative to the total search volume across various regions and languages. Using this tool, we can find out which superheroes are the most searched for in 2023.
The Most Popular Superheroes, Based on Google Searches
According to Google Trends, the most popular superheroes, based on average monthly Google searches in 2023, are:
- Spider-Man – The web-slinging wall-crawler is arguably the most iconic and relatable superhero of all time. He has been around since 1962 and has starred in countless comics, cartoons, movies, games, and more. He is also one of the most versatile heroes, with a wide range of powers, gadgets, costumes, and allies. Spider-Man is currently played by Tom Holland in the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU), and his latest movie, Spider-Man: No Way Home, was a huge hit that featured multiple versions of Spider-Man from different universes.
- Batman – The Dark Knight is the world’s greatest detective and one of the most influential superheroes ever created. He debuted in 1939 and has since become a cultural phenomenon, with a rich mythology, a rogues gallery of iconic villains, and a legacy of sidekicks and successors. Batman is currently played by Robert Pattinson in The Batman, a gritty reboot that explores his early years as a vigilante.
- Superman – The Man of Steel is the first and most famous superhero of all time. He was created in 1938 and has inspired generations of fans with his ideals of truth, justice, and the American way. He has superhuman strength, speed, flight, vision, and more, but he also has a human side as Clark Kent, a mild-mannered reporter for the Daily Planet. Superman is currently played by Henry Cavill in the DC Extended Universe (DCEU), and his latest appearance was in Zack Snyder’s Justice League, a director’s cut of the 2017 film Justice League.
- Black Adam – The anti-hero and archenemy of Shazam is one of the most powerful beings in the DC universe. He was originally a slave in ancient Egypt who was granted the powers of six gods by a wizard named Shazam. However, he became corrupted by his power and was banished for thousands of years. He returned in the modern day as a ruthless ruler of a fictional country called Kahndaq. Black Adam is set to make his cinematic debut in Black Adam, played by Dwayne Johnson.
- Iron Man – The genius billionaire playboy philanthropist is one of the most popular and influential heroes of the MCU. He was created in 1963 and has since become a symbol of technology, innovation, and charisma. He wears a suit of armor that gives him enhanced abilities, such as flight, weapons, and artificial intelligence. Iron Man was played by Robert Downey Jr. from 2008 to 2019, and his final appearance was in Avengers: Endgame, where he sacrificed himself to defeat Thanos.
- Captain America – The star-spangled super-soldier is one of the most patriotic and inspiring heroes of the MCU. He was created in 1941 and has since become a legend of World War II, a leader of the Avengers, and a mentor to other heroes. He has peak human physical abilities, enhanced by a serum that also slows his aging process. He also wields a shield made of vibranium, an indestructible metal. Captain America was played by Chris Evans from 2011 to 2019, and his final appearance was also in Avengers: Endgame, where he passed on his shield and mantle to Falcon.
- Hulk – The green-skinned gamma-powered giant is one of the most iconic and popular heroes of the MCU. He was created in 1962 and has since become a symbol of rage, strength, and transformation. He is the alter ego of Bruce Banner, a brilliant scientist who was exposed to gamma radiation that causes him to turn into a monstrous creature when he gets angry or stressed. Hulk was played by Mark Ruffalo from 2012 to 2019, and his latest appearance was also in Avengers: Endgame, where he merged his intelligence with his power to become Professor Hulk.
- The Flash – The fastest man alive is one of the most popular and beloved heroes of the DCEU. He was created in 1956 and has since become a symbol of speed, science, and humor. He has the ability to move at superhuman speeds, as well as manipulate time and space. He is also a member of the Justice League and a friend to other heroes. The Flash is currently played by Ezra Miller in the DCEU, and his latest appearance was also in Zack Snyder’s Justice League, where he played a crucial role in reversing the effects of the Mother Boxes. He is set to star in his own solo movie, The Flash, which will explore the concept of the multiverse and feature multiple versions of Batman.
- Wonder Woman – The Amazonian princess is one of the most popular and influential female superheroes of all time. She was created in 1941 and has since become a symbol of feminism, peace, and love. She has superhuman strength, speed, durability, and senses, as well as the ability to fly and use magic. She also wields a lasso of truth, a pair of bracelets that can deflect bullets, and a tiara that can be used as a weapon. Wonder Woman is currently played by Gal Gadot in the DCEU, and her latest movie was Wonder Woman 1984, which was set in the 1980s and featured her facing off against Cheetah and Maxwell Lord.
- Thor – The god of thunder is one of the most popular and powerful heroes of the MCU. He was created in 1962 and has since become a symbol of mythology, adventure, and humor. He is the son of Odin, the king of Asgard, and the wielder of Mjolnir, a magical hammer that grants him control over lightning, storms, and flight. He is also a founding member of the Avengers and a friend to other heroes. Thor is currently played by Chris Hemsworth in the MCU, and his latest appearance was also in Avengers: Endgame, where he joined the Guardians of the Galaxy after losing his home, his family, and his confidence. He is set to star in his fourth solo movie, Thor: Love and Thunder, which will feature the return of Jane Foster as the new Thor.
These are the top 10 most popular superheroes in 2023, based on Google searches. Of course, popularity is not the only measure of a superhero’s worth or impact. There are many other factors that make a superhero great, such as their personality, their story, their values, their relationships, their challenges, their achievements, and their legacy. Ultimately, every superhero has something unique and special to offer to their fans and to the world.
10 Most Asked Questions About Superheroes
Here are some of the most asked questions about superheroes on Google:
- Who is the strongest superhero? This is a difficult question to answer, as different superheroes have different strengths and weaknesses. However, some of the candidates for the strongest superhero are Superman, Hulk, Thor, Captain Marvel, Wonder Woman, Doctor Strange, Scarlet Witch, Black Adam, Shazam, and Silver Surfer.
- Who is the richest superhero? According to Forbes’ fictional rich list, the richest superhero is Black Panther, with an estimated net worth of $90.7 trillion, thanks to his access to the vast resources of Wakanda, the most advanced nation on Earth. The second richest superhero is Iron Man, with an estimated net worth of $12.4 billion, thanks to his inheritance from his father’s company Stark Industries, as well as his own inventions and businesses. The third richest superhero is Batman, with an estimated net worth of $9.2 billion, thanks to his inheritance from his parents’ company Wayne Enterprises, as well as his own investments and philanthropy.
- Who is the oldest superhero? The oldest superhero in terms of publication date is Superman, who first appeared in Action Comics #1 in 1938. The oldest superhero in terms of age is Thor, who is over 1,500 years old, according to Avengers: Infinity War.
- Who is the first female superhero? The first female superhero in terms of publication date is Fantomah, who first appeared in Jungle Comics #2 in 1940. She was a mysterious woman with supernatural powers who protected the African jungle from evil. The first female superhero in terms of popularity and influence is Wonder Woman, who first appeared in All Star Comics #8 in 1941. She was an Amazonian warrior who fought for justice and peace in Man’s World.
- Who is the best superhero? This is a subjective question that depends on personal preference and opinion. However, some of the criteria that could be used to judge the best superhero are their popularity, their impact, their character development, their performance by the actor playing them, their contribution to the shared universe they belong to, their diversity, and their cool factor. Based on these criteria, some of the candidates for the best superhero are Spider-Man