The Dallas Mavericks are one of the teams that will be watching the NBA Draft Lottery on June 22 with great interest. The reason is that they have a top-10 protected pick that could either stay with them or go to the New York Knicks, depending on the outcome of the lottery.
Dallas Mavericks Top 10 Protected Pick
The Mavericks’ top-10 protected pick is one of the most intriguing storylines of this year’s draft lottery. Whether they keep it or not will have a significant impact on their future plans and aspirations.
The Trade That Brought Kristaps Porzingis to Dallas
The Mavericks acquired Kristaps Porzingis from the New York Knicks in January 2019 in exchange for Dennis Smith Jr., DeAndre Jordan, Wesley Matthews and two future first-round picks. One of those picks was top-10 protected in 2023, 2024 and 2025.
The trade was seen as a bold move by the Mavericks to pair Porzingis with their young superstar Luka Doncic. Porzingis was expected to be a perfect fit as a stretch big man who could shoot from outside and protect the rim on defense.
However, Porzingis has struggled with injuries and inconsistency since joining the Mavericks. He missed most of the 2019-20 season with a knee injury and was limited by injuries again in 2020-21. He also faced criticism for his lackluster performance in the playoffs this year.
The Mavericks’ Disappointing Season
The Mavericks finished the 2022-23 season with a disappointing 38-44 record, missing the playoffs for the second time in three years. They also faced criticism from the NBA for resting their key players in some games, which was seen as an attempt to improve their chances of keeping their lottery pick.
The Mavericks have some promising young players on their roster besides Doncic, such as Jalen Brunson, Josh Green and Tyrell Terry. However, they also have some veterans who are past their prime or have underperformed, such as Tim Hardaway Jr., Dwight Powell and Maxi Kleber.
The Draft Lottery Odds
The Mavericks have the 10th-best odds in the lottery, which means they have a 65.9% chance of retaining their pick and a 34.1% chance of losing it to the Knicks. Here are the probabilities of each possible outcome for the Mavericks’ pick:
The Players Who Could Be Available
If the Mavericks keep their pick, they will have an opportunity to add a young talent to their core around Doncic. There are several prospects who could be available at No. 10 or higher who could help the Mavericks improve their roster.
Cade Cunningham is widely expected to be the No. 1 overall pick in this year’s draft, but there are several other players who could be available when the Mavericks are on the clock:
- Evan Mobley: A versatile big man who can score inside and outside and defend multiple positions.
- Jalen Green: A dynamic scorer who can create his own shot and finish above the rim.
- Jalen Suggs: A two-way guard who can play both on and off the ball and make plays for others.
- Moses Moody: A sharpshooter who can knock down threes at a high rate and defend multiple positions.
- Keon Johnson: An explosive athlete who can finish above the rim and defend multiple positions.
- Franz Wagner: A versatile wing who can shoot from outside and defend multiple positions.
- Alperen Sengun: A skilled big man who can score inside and outside and rebound at a high rate.
The Dallas Mavericks have a top-10 protected pick in this year’s NBA Draft Lottery that could either stay with them or go to the New York Knicks. The pick is part of the trade that brought Krist.
Here are the answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about the Dallas Mavericks’ top-10 protected pick:
Q: When is the NBA Draft Lottery?
A: The NBA Draft Lottery will take place on June 22, 2023.
Q: What happens if the Mavericks keep their pick?
A: If the Mavericks keep their pick, they will have a chance to add a young talent to their core around Luka Doncic. They will have a variety of options to choose from, such as Cade Cunningham, Evan Mobley, Jalen Green or Jalen Suggs.
Q: What happens if the Mavericks lose their pick?
A: If the Mavericks lose their pick to the Knicks, they will have to find other ways to improve their roster and compete in the Western Conference. They will have some cap space and trade assets to pursue free agents or trades, but they will also lose some flexibility by not having their own first-round pick until 2027.
Q: What are the chances of the Mavericks keeping their pick?
A: The Mavericks have a 65.9% chance of retaining their pick and a 34.1% chance of losing it to the Knicks.
Q: Who are some players the Mavericks could target with their pick?
A: If the Mavericks keep their pick, they could target elite prospects such as Cade Cunningham, Evan Mobley, Jalen Green or Jalen Suggs. If they stay at No. 10, they will still have a variety of options to choose from, such as Moses Moody, Keon Johnson, Franz Wagner or Alperen Sengun.
I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.